Diagnosis of heart diseases:
- Talking to the patient about symptoms, medical history, and risk factors
- Performing a medical examination
- Ordering diagnostic tests for the patient such as blood tests, electrocardiogram, echocardiography, exercise test, CT scan, and cardiac catheterization.
Treatment of heart diseases:
- Lifestyle change: exercising, following a proper diet (decreasing salt, fat, and sugar), and not smoking or drinking.
- Medicine treatment: If lifestyle changes are not enough to treat the heart disease, medicine may be needed to improve heart function and bring oxygen-rich blood to it. The type of medicine depends on the type of heart problem.
- Coronary angioplasty: placement of a stent in the coronary arteries
Surgery: Coronary artery surgery, valve replacement, etc. are the cases of surgery and usage of a heart lung machine
Prevention of heart diseases
By changing the lifestyle to a healthy one, the risk of heart disease can be prevented.
The basic factors of a healthy lifestyle include:
- Quitting smoking
- Proper diet (eating more vegetables and fruits while reducing fat, sugar, and salt)
- Not drinking
- Controlling diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol
- Preventing obesity
For more information about heart diseases, visit ” The role of heart surgery in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases” page.